Director of Development
Reading In Motion | Chicago, IL
Who We Are:
Reading In Motion is a results-oriented literacy organization that gets students reading at grade level or above within the first years of school, especially those students whose environment or circumstances put them in greater need of support. It offers an engaging, arts-based, innovative literacy model, designed in both Spanish and English, that collaborates with teachers to measurably improve students’ reading and build crucial skills to start students on the path for a lifetime of successful learning. To learn more, visit www.readinginmotion.org
Reading In Motion is an equal opportunity employer.
Reading In Motion is seeking a Director of Development to lead its $1.2 million fundraising efforts in collaboration with the board of directors.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating and overseeing a comprehensive development program, securing major gifts from new and existing individual major donors, cultivating existing and potential board members, event planning and oversight, and managing the development staff. The new hire will have the opportunity to build their own team with the addition of development and marketing staff.
While the Director’s individual focus will be on activating the board and on growing major gifts, they will also oversee the development staff’s efforts to grow foundation grants and corporate sponsorships.
The Director of Development reports to, and will collaborate closely with, the Executive Director, and is a key member of the senior management team responsible for creating Reading In Motion’s long-term strategy.
The ideal candidate is an effective fundraiser who thrives on the responsibility of driving the organization’s fundraising targets. Strong candidates will have a proven track record in securing major gifts, and the ability to develop and leverage the board, as well as a personal passion for education and the arts.
This is an excellent opportunity for a successful development professional interested in leading the fundraising strategy of a metrics-driven organization focused on expanding its impact both in Chicago and nationally.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package available.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com.
Required Qualifications, Characteristics and Skill Sets:
- Bachelor’s degree required, and at least 8-10 years’ experience with increasing responsibility in development
- Successful, verifiable major gifts results
- Working knowledge of foundation and corporate giving
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with different constituencies (subordinates, managers, peers, donors and Board members)
- Experience with motivating and supervising a development team; some remotely
- A goal-oriented personality who is resilient and creative when faced with shifting challenges and opportunities
- Exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative and achievement
- Comfortable using metrics and data to support fundraising plans
- Demonstrable interest in the mission of Reading In Motion.
- Achieve annual fundraising goals ($1.2 million in FY 2019)
- Maintain ultimate responsibility for all contributed revenue-generating activities, including major gifts, foundation and corporate giving, as well as strategies to increase annual fund gifts
- Manage a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors, including developing strategies and implementing effective cultivation and solicitation moves
- Work with the Board of Directors to maximize their own giving potential, and develop targeted strategies to engage their relationships with others as potential new donors to RIM
- Provide leadership and guidance of the development department to achieve annual fundraising goals through effective planning, communications and implementation
- Support the Executive Director in fundraising activities, including developing strategies and tactics for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts
- Oversee all fundraising-related special events and projects to ensure that financial goals and objectives are met.
Management & Communication
- Hire, manage and mentor development staff, prioritizing work and offering direction and support that ensures both effective results and engaged employees
- Work collaboratively with the entire senior leadership team, developing strategies to ensure financial and fundraising goals are met, and offering a development perspective for organization-wide strategic and operational decisions
- Provide leadership support to the Board of Directors and the Philanthropy and Board Engagement Committees, developing their financial resources and their efforts to build a broad base of financial support for the organization’s fundraising.
Planning & Measurement
- Direct and evaluate the effectiveness of all fundraising programs, utilizing established metrics and reporting tools
- Create an aggressive, achievable, multi-faceted annual fundraising plan that will support RIM’s future growth, targeting key areas for growth based on key metrics and core strategy
- Collaborate with the Finance Manager and Executive Director to develop annual revenue targets and all monthly contributed revenue generation reporting
- Direct the preparation of all annual budgets under development functions and monitor on a monthly basis to ensure expenditures are within budget scope.